Nobody wants to dread Mondays, right?
We all want to love what we do, but for some it might feel like having a dream career is reserved for the likes of sports stars or celebrities (or dolphin trainers); so far out of reach that it feels like they won the lottery. But as a woman who has dipped in and out of a few different careers to give them a go, one thing I have noticed is that there are far more people out there loving their jobs than I would have guessed. I really enjoy my job. Would I prefer to be writing fiction novels all day? Yes, but when it comes down to it, I am not filled with dread come Sunday night and I am not madly hash tagging #f%*kMonday or #bringonFriday. I’m really thankful for that, because if anything is taking me away from my son on a daily basis, it better be something I’m at least enjoying!
If you are suffering the Monday blues, perhaps it’s time to reevaluate? To quote one of my favourite poets:
Your life is your life, know it while you have it.
And if you’re more of a meme kind of person then:
So what can you do?
Whether it’s an easy fix, being brave by asking someone for a chance or perhaps going back to school, the first thing you need to do is… well figure out what you WANT to do. Here are some questions via Forbes that should help you suss it out.
- If I could choose one friend to trade jobs with, I’d choose ____________, because ____________.
- I’ve always wondered what it would be like to do ____________. It’s interesting to me because ____________.
- If I had the right education or skill set, I’d definitely try ____________, because ____________.
- If I had to go back to school tomorrow, I’d major in ____________, because ____________.
- My co-workers and friends always say I’m great at ____________, because ____________.
- The thing I love most about my current job is ____________, because ____________.
- If my boss would let me, I’d do more of ____________, because ____________.
- If I had a free Saturday that had to be spent “working” on something, I’d choose ____________, because ____________.
- When I retire, I want to be known for ____________, because ____________.
Hopefully something will stand out and when it does, you need to find a way to go for it. Being a mother is so rewarding, but if your career also means a lot to you, then you need to ensure you’re chasing the right dream. Be one of those annoying people who love Mondays 🙂
Your life is your life. Know it while you have it!